11 May 2009

Why I Love/Hate Beethoven

::
I have a weird love/hate relationship with Beethoven (the composer, not the dog). His music enchants me, but very few of his pieces managed to escape my endless rants. He always finds a way, at some point, to upset me. I usualy define that point as the place where I think the piece should end -gracefully- but Beethoven disagrees and goes on with an additional movement to my annoyment.



I attribute it to his strict German upbringing. In his view, a symphony has to have three or in rare cases four parts. Just to comply with this unwritten rule of his, he throws in an utterly unnecessary part.

Here is his 7th symphony, second movement, conducted by Charles Latshaw:



I have never been able to finish the third after listening the second mvt and our troubled relationship with him continues in spite of these small frictions.


0 comment(s):

Most Commented Posts:

Post a Comment