14 May 2009

Keeping an Off-line Blog

::
Since 2006 I have been keeping an off-line blog, using it sort of like a diary (one of many advantages of using Linux; an environment that works out of the box with a web server, PHP, etc.). Unlike many, I usually keep my thoughts, projects, ideas, etc as blog posts. This way, they are easily searchable, hyper-linked, can have embedded content (I particularly like this feature. You can access all your favorite videos, music and whatnot effortlessly), so and so forth.



Before this system, I tried several alternatives and programs but found this superior to others all. Combined with a browser like Opera (and its notes feature), it gives best of all possible options. Not only it is a good organizer, it also helps posting to my on-line blogs: I combine, edit, add some new stuff and publish.

So far, I stayed away from blogging software that requires databases; not that I'm against them, just thought they were not necessary. Today, I have imported all my posts to Wordpress, after installing MySQL, of course. Naturally, I am unable to import tags and categories. It will take some time until I finish the tagging, considering there are more than 600 posts.

I have to say I am impressed with Wordpress and its features (speedwise, cannot tell as everthing is working at localhost. You will be amazed at the speed when you run things locally; try it some time).

To make a long story short, this change will give me a hands-on experience with a popular blogging platform. Besides, you should really consider running an off-line blog; it is the best organizer/journal you can have.


0 comment(s):

Most Commented Posts:

Post a Comment