09 May 2009

Woman of Straw - Not Trendy Version

::
Yet another experiment or attempt of mine to stop being a non-conformist and do what the public is doing. When I noticed "woman of straw" slowly but surely moving up in the trends chart, I decided to follow it. I thought it was something I could do without sacrificing my snobbishness. After all, the trend could only be attributed to:



a) Vincent Van Gogh's painting of a young peasant woman with straw hat sitting in the wheat field

b) A can-be-considered classic movie of Gina Lollabrigida and Sean Connery.

van gogh woman with straw hat
Unless the painting was stolen, I was positive that the second one was the reason that whipped public's sudden interest. So, I am sticking to Van Gogh.

Van Gogh is one of my all-time favorites among painters. You can hardly find another painter that helps you understand what Huxley tried to convey in his Doors of Perception.

van gogh starry night

When you look at Van Gogh's paintings you realize that his vision of the world is not like yours. He does not imagine, he sees/perceives it that way. Try "Starry Night" for example. The whole sky is like a big chunk of cheese with holes on it. And the stars are inside those cavities; something I will not be able to see no matter how high I am. Give me all the pills in the world, dump me in a mushroom field, still no go. My life experiences have long ago closed those doors. Alas!


2 comments:

  1. Hey. It was due to it being a late night movie on the Tube. Mostly folks in NY were googlin the keywords to see what the movie was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don. Knowing that I chose the right strain was a relief . It would have been really embarrassing (for me, at least) if they had googled for Van Gogh.

    ReplyDelete