03 May 2009

A few SEO and Speed Tweaks

::
After having done some tests, I changed the placement of a few widgets with improving reader experience and search engine optimization in mind. The popular posts widgets are now on the main page. This, I believe, will enhance readability and overall navigation. Google trends or the fancy widget as I call it, is on the home page, too. I do not know why, but I like it. Other than that, it serves no meaningful purpose. As both are basically feeds, the individual post pages should now load considerably faster.



The archive calendar, another unnecessary but cute one since I use the default Blogger archive, has taken its place in the labels and search views. Apart from its cosmetic effect, it can be handy for users who are searching the site.

The default hierarchical archive eventually resides in post pages instead of index page. In addition to its immediate value to visitors who find the site via search engines, it creates keyword rich pages, an obvious plus for SEO if you want to rank high.

Naturally, after using different sidebars for different views, it has become impossible to save the widgets by dragging and dropping them, but I trust that you already know how to move the widgets by other means.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing blog tips, a really must helpful tip for a newbie to get SEO of its blog. Keep on sharing such tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I occasionally touch advanced topics, I intend to give practical and easy to follow advice for bloggers. Despite all the hype around SEO, keyword analysis, so and so forth, I am a true believer that content is the single most important factor in the realm of blogging. Create it and follow some simple steps, you will be guaranteed a reasonable ranking. Rest is only necessary if you aim really high. I will try to cater both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Posts like these are really informative and they do teach us a lot about the correct strategy of SEO .
    Please keep posting such stuff, would love to read more.

    Naina

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I might add after seeing Naina's comment is that there are two types of bloggers: those who blog for the fun of it, regardless of they carry ads (for example I do but I can not claim I make money out of it) or not, and those who do it to make a living.

    For the second group, hiring a professional is, no, should be the way to go. No free advice can replace the service of a true professional. They, other than the obvious task of handling SEO for you, help concentrate on your real job: writing.

    For anyone seriously thinking to make money (no, I do not mean getting rich and swimming in millions), DIY, do it yourself approach is not particularly beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great SEO Tips! I think these are valuable for any webmaster as sometimes we tend to forget these things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I remember from another comment of yours, Mike, you are using Wordpress. In Blogger, feeds have zero SEO value (they of course enrich the site, so we can not say they are completely useless). When you check the source code, nothing shows up in Blogger. It could be different in WP, though, as it uses server side scripting, i.e. PHP.

    ReplyDelete