05 May 2009

Attracting Mobile Phone Users

::
I previously mentioned the benefits of adding a short URL to your posts for wider exposure. Despite the increasing popularity of social bookmarking and micro blogging networks, most of us tend to ignore one particular type of media: mobile or cellular phones.



Mobile phones have successfully penetrated world markets regardless of GNP and per capita income. I can even argue that their market penetration is deeper than computers especially in poor and developing countries. Another observation of mine is younger generation's phone use is higher compared to their interaction with PCs.

Most webmasters and bloggers neglect what I think is the future of Internet. Although they have the opportunity to style their pages for cellular phones, I can hardly say they care. Some of us who are on free services like Blogger do not even have that option unless Google does something about it (Note to self: It should be possible to host a CSS for mobile viewers on a remote server. Look into this!!!).

Getting in the game early by designing easily read pages in cellular phones can bring significant advantages. Securing yourself a presence in the mobile arena will be much harder in later stages.

Short URL for this post


2 comments:

  1. So I have noticed that there are a lot of posts in forums/blog comments saying reading, checking through phone and etc.

    I haven't thought of this for my blogs, good thing you pointed it out

    Cheers,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I brought this up is my statistics. I can see that for example Googlebot regularly visited the site but "Googlebot Mobile" hits were zero. It was as if this blog did not exist as far as cell phone surfers are concerned.

    ReplyDelete