16 April 2009

Caprica: A Bust or a Hit

::
I watched the pilot episode of Caprica last night. As you probably know, the series is based on Battlestar Galactica, and its time-line is set 58 years before the Cylon attack. Overall, I can say that it will be worth waiting for the first, or second if you count the pilot, episode.



One thing I dislike is the inclusion of mysticism in science fiction. When not done right, it usually bores me to death. I did not like the way they handled it in BSG, and I have a feeling I will not like it in Caprica: robots searching for the meaning of life, the universe, and seeking God...

battlestar galactica spin-off caprica
Compare it to Asimov, you will understand what I mean. In his book I Robot, he also tells us the story of a robot trying to find its creator, not believing a mere human can create a complex being like itself. Asimov did it right. His was philosophy, not mysticism. We shall see how Caprica will fare, but I am not so hopeful.

Short URL for this post


0 comment(s):

Most Commented Posts:

Post a Comment